Friday, March 15, 2013

Sometimes, we just need to follow "our own advice"

So, today was awful.
At least, that's what I made it out to be. 
I woke up at 5 a.m. for early morning Seminary, could barely open my eyes, put on sweats and a T-shirt with my hair in a ponytail, and walked out the door with 3 minutes to spare before 6:00 rolled around and I had to be at Seminary, 7-10 minutes away. 
I walked in the door, and things just weren't right. One person just looked at me until I finally said, "What?" He was sad that I hadn't said my usual, "Hello, how are you today?" I waved and told him I was "super tired." I didn't laugh AT ALL during that class. Why is that strange, you may ask?? Because that class is HILARIOUS!!! It's very difficult to hold back your laughter with all that goes on in that class. I felt the Spirit and was able to take something from the lesson, but my attitude was torn to shreds. 
Throughout the school day, I spoke to very few people. I looked down at my feet and refused to take part in most conversation and laughter. If I laughed, it was fake. Once again, my attitude stunk. Things just didn't seem to go like they should. I fell asleep in 1st hour, doodled in my notebook for the 2nd hour, hardly ate anything for lunch, didn't have my book card for 3rd hour when it was due, probably failed my essay test, didn't have much of a care except to cry, fell asleep on the stage while in Madrigals, nearly cried while talking to one of the counselors for graduation, etc. I was so upset that everything was going wrong and working against me. 
Then, one of my favorite families called and asked me to babysit. Once again, my attitude told me not to--that it wasn't even worth it. I said yes, and when they dropped me off at the house, the daughter was upset. She told me about her drama, how she couldn't believe I found her when she hid, about her friends, and everything that was troubling her. I told her how she reminds me of myself. I used to hide and just cry, all the time. I knew she'd be behind the couch. I paced back and forth in front of it, and told her how everything would be okay--that she always had someone to talk to, she has so many who support and love her, she was put here for a reason, all of her questions can be answered, having a good attitude shapes so much more than she thinks now, she can put drama out just by choosing to, etc. As I was saying that, I couldn't believe what I said! It was all so profound, that it wasn't technically me saying it. I was able to act as an instrument in God's hands to help her feel better. It also opened my eyes to realize that my attitude was ridiculous. 
So, what do we do when we think the world is gaining up on us? How can we get over it?
First of all, pray. 
When we pray, it shows that we are willing to listen to what Heavenly Father has to tell us. What He has in store may not be what we want, but we need it and we must have faith that it is what is best. Heavenly Father knows all things. He put us here on purpose. I have my parents, live in my home, go to my school, have my friends.....all because an extremely intelligent being in Heaven knew exactly what I needed and when I would need it. "Ask, and ye shall receive..."
Second, read the scriptures.
I told this girl how we must read the scriptures with a question, an open mind and heart, and a willingness to learn, regardless of the answer given. I realized that it is hard to read the scriptures all the time. But it doesn't have to be. With prayer and scripture study, you can come back to the path. When you fall behind, get back up and hold tight, because life is a long ride! Take it little by little and set a goal. Keep a journal with you to record your feelings so you'll not forget. "Seek, and ye shall find..."
Third, know that you are worth it. 
It's so sad to look around and see so many people who think they have no worth. Often times, I find myself guilty of this. Imagine this: If you were to create something--say, a live being/person--would you want it to say, "Wow! I am hideous!! Someone was clearly mistaken when they made me!" or something to that effect? When God created us, he beheld that "they were good." Imagine how He must feel when we talk about ourselves in such ways. It's like telling someone something they made is terrible. You are not awful. He was happy with what He had made and believed we were perfectly made to be the way we needed to be. We are children of a king!! My, if you are royalty, why not treat yourself like it! We have the great potential to one day become gods and goddesses of worlds and kingdoms. Look toward that goal with the end in sight and live your life accordingly. God knows and loves you with all His heart. Have you ever wondered how to put the dots on a ladybug? No, not with a sharpie. God knows. He knows the color of your eyes. He knows your name. He knows what you are going through. Ask Him for help and strength and He will bless you. Remember that everyone around you is also a child of God. They deserve the same respect and dignity you wish to have. Remember the golden rule!
Fourth: Have a good attitude!
Life can really stink. When we have a bad attitude, it drags others down with us. How would you feel if you knew you destroyed a person's chances to succeed because you chose to have a terrible attitude and lead them astray? There are so many people watching you and looking up to you. What would you have them learn from you? Here's your chance. Be thou an example of the believers and let your light shine! "Knock, and it shall be opened unto you."
Fifth: Watch this. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gQLqv9f4o


You are amazing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk980jV7Ao

#Advise #Advice #Seminary #Attitude #BadDay #Babysit #Loosle #Pray #Faith #Scriptures #Journal #Record #Worth #ChildOfGod #Royalty #Potential #Strength #Help #blessings #Example #Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment